An update! an update! Per usual this week has been crazy; I’m going to do a quick recap of some of the high/low points instead of a full-on retelling.
1. The other night I had big plans for the gym, but being a good wife, I waited for A to get home. We set out with not much time to spare, pretty close to closing. 5 steps down the block A realized he had a splinter in his toe and we had to stop and do minor roadside surgery, so no gym 😦 We did at least head to the grocery store where I got to buy more Soy Silk Eggnog!
2. My principal (wigged the f out) and decided there can be no more teacher microwaves in classrooms. We can only use microwaves in the lounge. We had to sign a memo Weds. morning. a) there are no microwaves in the lounge, b) a good 70% of the staff is thinking about quitting because the kids are pretty much running the school and you’re sending out memos about microwaves?!? I don’t even use the microwaves (as you, occasionally, see I usually bring yogurt and fruit for lunch), but it’s the principle of the thing.
3. We cooked A’s birthday dessert finally – Smores Pie! No pictures but I’ll post the super simple delish recipe if anyone wants it; it’s basically a giganto smore!
4. A student had a major freak out in class yesterday and slammed me into a wall. That’s all I’m saying about this one.
5. When I got home yesterday, from a particularly soul-crushing day, I had two holiday packages! Look at how pretty my aunt’s wrapping was:
She sent A and I each an Under Armour sweatshirt for winter runs!
The jewelry on the side was the package from my mommy. My mom is a children’s librarian, but she’s also a fantastic jewelry maker, almost all of my earrings and necklaces are from her! These were my favorite.
This morning for breakfast stuck with tradition and was running late, so I ate a Lemon Lara Bar on the train.
Um, yum! Laras aren’t my absolute favorite but this flavor was great! I need to keep trying new flavors.
For lunch I mixed things up and packed a salad.
I used a European blend of lettuce as a base topped with peppitas, blackberries, and 1/2 a raw yellow squash. On the side was lowfat poppy seed dressing.
I also packed some Kashi cheddar crackers and 3 candy cane taffies.
I didn’t eat the crackers or candy until after school though, I stayed until 5:30 to catch up on workbook grading. I still have a ton to do, I really need to haul my ass out of bed tomorrow morning! I had a really great day today though – My all girls class was perfect – so hopefully I’ll be feeling 5am-motivated!
When I got home I had some snacks while I made dinner; a slice of extra-sharp cheddar,
and the last of the nonfat cottage cheese (1/2C) topped with the last of the blackberries and a dollop of homemade strawberry jam.
For dinner I made Semi-Homemade Spagetti (not Sandra Lee s.h. though, I hate that freakin’ show – butter is practically an orgasmic experience over there!). I made most of the components myself, but used this sauce.
- cook 1lb whole wheat angel hair according to the directions on the box, and drain
- roast 1pint cherry tomatos, 25minutes in the oven on a foiled sheet at 450*
- saute a smallish onion in 1.5T evoo and then brown .5lbs extra-lean ground turkey in the same pan
- pour tomatos, turkey, and sauce into the pasta pot and stir to combine
This should be 2.5-3 nights of meals for A and I. I had my serving alongside roasted veggies; the other half of the yellow squash and half a zuccini. Look at the tomato-y goodness.
My eyes were a bit bigger than my stomach, this is what A ended up eating off my plate:
I did have room for dessert though, Smores Pie is so frickin’ good!
We are watching (the original) “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” so I’ve got to get back to the couch! What is your favorite holiday movie? You’ll see mine later this weekend.