The inspirations for this page are both 1) delighted glee and 2) frustrated irritation.
1) Delighted glee = the emotion I experienced during some yummy, healthy meals I’ve eaten lately.
2) Frustrated Irritation = the twinged with disgust feeling I get when I view sites such as HungryGirl’s (http://www.hungry-girl.com/).
There is such a satisfaction to eating a meal/snack that is easy, satisfying, and from simple ingredients. And yet sites such as HG vouch for food “substitutions” that are low on calories but often high on chemicals. Why would I want a substitute? I like to eat food! I think there is something telling about the name of this low-cal guru; HungryGirl. The suggestions on this site mimic the diet of a little girl who doesn’t know better. I want to eat like a grown-up.
And so, my HungryGrownUp page is born! This will be a compilation of recipes that are simple, healthy, satisfying, and oh yeah, low-calorie.
This recipe is pleases your tongue with sweet and tangy working together and is satisfying because of all the protein.
- Spoon a serving of plain, nonfat Greek Yogurt (approx. 6oz) into a bowl
- Stir in a teaspoon of high quality (real) maple syrup
- Top with a sliced plum; or whatever your favorite fruit happens to be
- Voila –
Depending on the brand of yogurt, this recipe has 200calories or less.
Turkey Cheese Crisps
This filling snack easily transitions to dinner when paired with a side of veggies.
- Preheat your oven to the broil setting
- Cover a baking pan with tin-foil and spray with a cooking spray
- Place deli-thin slices of turkey (or chicken, or tofurkey!) on the foil
- Top with approx. a tablespoon of cheese (whatever you have on hand – the original creation was cheddar)
- Sprinkle with a dash of paprika
- and broil for 3-5minutes
(Shown alongside some chicken nuggets) The nutrition profile for this will depend on the modifications you choose to make.
Eaten as a side or a meal, roasted veggies are 10times healthier and 100times tastier than french fries.
- preheat oven to 450degrees
- spray a foiled pan with cooking spray
- cut whatever veggies you like into small chunks or slices
- place veggies on the tray, lightly spray with cooking spray, and sprinkle with salt and whatever seasoning fits with your mood
- 20-25minutes later, you’re done
The volume shown is 8 brussels sprouts, 1 yellow squash, and 1 zucchini. Quick recipe, super healthy, super filling, and easy clean up – what’s not to love?
Creamy and crunchy all in one, there are several layers of flavor to this 3 ingredient salad.
- slice a plum tomato into cubes
- slice 1/2 a large cucumber into cubes
- add about a 1/4 C of goat, blue, or feta cheese and a sprinkle of salt
Less than 150calories for a large bowl.
This is so simple it hardly constitutes a recipe:
- 13 Mary’s Gone Crackers Gluten Free Crackers (120calories)
- 1 wedge of Laughing Cow lite french onion cheese (35calories)
- 17 pieces of turkey pepperoni (70calories)
Spread the cheese on the crackers, top with pepperoni, enjoy all this:
Just a bit more than 200 calories, filling, protein-y, the perfect snack.
Golden Holdin’ Bowl
This is another yogurt parfait, but they are good enough that I think all varieties deserve to be shared!
- serving of nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 sliced golden kiwi
- 1 T ground flax
- 1 t real maple syrup
The high amount of protien and healthy fat in this meal will be “holdin'” you over for hours!